Fwd: Re: testing form submission

(resending this from the right account)

On 18/03/14 20:21, Larry Masinter wrote:
> I'm not sure what the use case is for WebDriver.  The three use cases
> I have in mind, using WebDriver has some disadvantages, doesn't it?
> If it can't be used with older browsers?
>
> * validating  a report of an  implementation of a spec feature
> *  verifying that conformance requirements in the spec can be tested
> * determining which deployed implementations implement a feature
>
> perhaps you could use an automated test for testing an implementation,
> but it would need special setup for testing new devices on embedded
> controllers anyway.

WebDriver is only relevant to cases that can't be tested through some
other mechanism. In general the preferred order of testing techniques is:

Javascript Test (i.e. testharness.js)
Reftest
WebDriver Test
Manual Test

In this case I think you should be able to do everything that you're
interested in using javascript alone.