Re: webdriver on web-platform-tests

On 04/02/14 12:58, Denis Ah-Kang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The guys working on webdriver added a couple of tests [1] a few months
> ago using the python implementation and it seems to work fine except
> that it's not running on wptserve but on a python webserver made by
> Mozilla. The switch shouldn't be too hard according to James.
>
> I was wondering how people feel about starting to write tests based on
> what's already in [1]. We should then be able to automate most of the
> manual tests.
> Any thoughts?

I am fine with automating the manual tests using webdriver, although we
should enforce the requirement that they can still be run without
webdriver for situations in which it is not available.

We need to decide on which client language we will support; I am
strongly in favour of using python since that is a requirement for the
tests in any case.

Obviously webdriver-based tests for other specs should go inside the
path for the spec they are testing and not the webdriver/ path. That
means that this doesn't have any dependence on the webdriver tests
themselves moving to wptserve. There is probably some extra work to do
ensuring that a webdriver test is distinguishable from a normal python
file. And probably some more technical challenges besides.