Re: Review of tests upstreamed by implementors

On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 10:56 PM, Dirk Pranke wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 2:45 PM, Tobie Langel <tobie@w3.org (mailto:tobie@w3.org)> wrote:
> > On Wednesday, March 20, 2013 at 10:29 PM, Rebecca Hauck wrote:
> > > And you're probably right about
> > > implementors not running all or many of the W3C tests. The quandary is
> > > that implementors seem to want to only take tests (not authored by them)
> > > that are blessed by the W3C and the W3C wants implementors to bless the
> > > tests by running them.
> >
> > One of my goals is to make sure that we automatically run the tests on a number of different user agents both on the master branch and on incoming pull requests.
>
> While I do not doubt that this would be useful, I'm not sure it will be as useful as you might like, nor as easy. Perhaps I'm not accurately picturing what you have in mind: I'm taking this to mean you hope to be running patches on your own infrastructure?

I can totally see how you misread my comment. Sounds like I should prioritize working on my writing chops over anything else at this point (this is happening way too often).

I'm referring to the W3C test suite repository and to the pull requests on that repository, not to the repository of WebKit/Gecko, etc.

So this is a much more modest proposal. The idea's simply to automatically run the tests on a number of shipped browsers (probably including nightly builds were that's easy enough to organize).

This is no silver bullet, but is miles ahead of anything we're doing now so should really help.

--tobie