Re: [Test Framework] WebDriver-based test framework

On Monday, March 18, 2013 at 11:03 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 15/03/2013 17:24 , Tobie Langel wrote:
> > I wrote down[1] a very early and very high level plan of how to
> > architect a WebDriver-based framework. Note this framework would
> > fallback to running the tests in a more regular manner should
> > WebDriver not be supported. In which case, ref tests wouldn't be
> > run.
>
> A few questions:
>
> • Is Mozilla really the only native implementation? I thought that
> Chromium had native support too (but I couldn't confirm or infirm this
> from the Web).

No. I got lazy. Also, this is a wiki. :)
> • Beyond the architecture to get WD tests to run, is there something we
> need to agree upon for how these tests are written, how the drivers
> knows what to do, etc.? I ask because I've been thinking about WD tests
> for the Editing APIs and might be tempted to give those a stab at some
> point.

So, right now, I've only been thinking only about running testharness.js and ref tests within that context, and imagining what a small subset of a11y tests could be. Getting a PoC up for that is next on my todo list.

To write raw WD tests, we'll probably need to agree and specify a single language binding to the WD JSON protocol. My understanding is there is a related, non-normative deliverable within the Browser Testing and Tools WG. We might want to look into that a bit more closely at some point.

--tobie