Re: Naming directories in web-platform-tests

On Apr 16, 2013, at 5:51 PM, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:

> "Linss, Peter" <peter.linss@hp.com>, 2013-04-16 16:57 -0700:
>
>> On Apr 16, 2013, at 3:47 PM, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
>> FWIW, the CSSWG is going to be renaming most of our spec's shortnames in
>> /TR space soon (with the appropriate redirects) to have a single
>> consistent pattern (and remove css3-*). We already made this change in
>> our draft repository.
>
> With respect, I don't think it would be a good idea for the rest of us to
> use that as a good precedent.
>
>> I recommend giving each WG a chance to chime in if they have plans to
>> change their shortnames (for their own reasons), then rename all the
>> directories in the repo to match /TR space (or any planned changes in /TR
>> space).
>
> I recommend that we don't encourage working groups to start making requests
> to change a bunch of short names. At least not unless we could agreement
> that it's actually a good idea instead of a bad one.

Agreed. To be clear, I wasn't advocating that WG's start changing the shortnames on a whim. If they do change, that should be for a really good reason well beyond the testing work (and the random names in the test repo). I was only pointing out that at least one WG does have a reason to change a bunch of shortnames and that they will be changing soon.

My suggestion wasn't to encourage other groups to change the shortnames, only to see if name changes were already in the works before renaming the directories in the repo (so the repo names don't churn unnecessarily). As a follow on, if any other groups are going to be changing shortnames, it might be a good thing to coordinate and do them all at once rather than a long series of changes that would drive everyone nuts.

Peter