Re: Request to move the test repositories to Github

On Wed, 8 Aug 2012, Tobie Langel wrote:

> On 8/8/12 6:31 PM, "Kris Krueger" <krisk@microsoft.com> wrote:
>
>> There IP and license concerns that would have to be addressed.
>>
>> http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/1/testgrants2-200409/
>> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2008/03-bsd-license.html
>> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2008/04-testsuite-license.html
>
> To allow for content to be forked or to pull in contributions?

Right, I don't know quite what the specific concern here is, but other
projects use github that require a CLA before contributing (e.g. Django),
so it seems that in practice one can successfully use the github
model and require license agreements to be filled in before contributions
are accepted.

Indeed it might be possible to set up the repo to reject commits from
people not on a W3C-maintained whitelist.

>> There are members of the w3c that won't sign up to just go look at random
>> open source code on GitHub.

I don't really understand this objection. They would sign up to contribute
tests to the testsuite. They would be free to assiduously ignore
everything else on github.