Re: Documentation update

Hi Peter,

thanks for clarifying things, I've updated the docs accordingly.

On Jan 10, 2012, at 19:41 , Linss, Peter wrote:
> Note that the test suite build system from the CSS test suite automatically generates this manifest file with all the data in place. At some point this code will be generalized to be used for other suites as well.

Well the next part of the work that's on my plate right now is the integration of several existing test suites into the framework, so if there's an existing automated system to adapt it might be a more productive use of my time if I just went ahead and adapted it :) Do you have pointers and a list of things that need to be done to generalise it? I don't necessarily need much, just the general direction.

>>   • Specifications can be imported from the CLI using a spec manifest — is this exposed to the Web interface? (I don't think so).
>
> I don't believe so. I wrote all the CLI import scripts, Mike wrote the Web interface versions.
>
>> Should it be?
>
> Possibly, or the web interface should be expanded to include the functionality.

On the face of it It would seem to be straightforward to add manifest support to the Web interface, I'll add it if there's demand for it.

>>   • The test runs I could find seem to necessitate manual intervention (you see each test one by one, submit the result you see). Yet I see a number of mentions of automated test suite submission. Is this something that's planned for but not supported, or did I miss something? Is there agreement on how it ought to work?
>
> There's some experimental support for automatic submission of script tests that use test harness.js. This will be expanded on. At some point there may also be automatic comparison of reference tests.

I've found the autosubmit stuff, I couldn't see it because I thought the suite I was looking at was using harness.js when it wasn't. And it seems that so long as harness.js is used, there's no need to document anything specific — it should just work.

I was also wondering if we need to coordinate to keep our code bases in sync? It seems that right now there are no changes in your version that aren't in the W3C version, but the reverse isn't true (notably, at least one major bug has been fixed).

Thanks!