From: Phil Barker <phil.barker@pjjk.co.uk>
Sent: Tuesday, November 5, 2019 11:37 AM
To: public-talent-signal@w3.org
Subject: Re: TalentSignal properties relating to employer information

Thank you Joseph

On point 2 (and 1, for that matter): these are optional, maybe necessary for some people but not others. The only way to see whether it is completely unneccessary is to see whether anyone uses it. It's a property in JDX JobSchema+, and pilots of that with a few organizations did see it get used. That was admittedly a very limited trial, and may not be entirely representative of use in the wild, but it gives me some confidence that the property has some use. OTOH, lean is good; we don't need to propose it. What do others think?

To address you third point, what is being suggested is the change that is necessary to use industry codes with the existing industry property. Currently there is nothing stopping someone from saying

        "industry": "62012"

but it's unintelligible. The alternative

        "industry": "SIC: 62012,Business and domestic software development."

is seemingly intelligible to humans but harder for computers (and see below if you think you have understood correctly); but only the following is fully intelligible to humans and machines (or at least it would be if I could find a proper URI for the "@id"

        "industry": {

          "@type": "DefinedTerm",

          "@id": "http://example.org/UKSIC/2007/62012"<http://example.org/UKSIC/2007/62012>

          "code": "62012",

          "name": "Business and domestic software development"

          "inDefinedTermSet": {

             "@type": "DefinedTermSet"

             "name": "United Kingdom Standard Industrial Classification of Economic Activities"

          }

        }

(Note that the UK SIC has diverged from the SIC that was used in the US before NAICS)

On your other point, when do we say “what we have is good for now”: think that we are close, at least as far as simple properties of JobPosting go. Other issues are more complex, e.g. how to express alternative requirements, or how to handle Assessment of competences.

Phil