Re: Domain sketch

Hi Jim

On 22/08/2019 22:18, Jim Goodell wrote:
> One thing I'm not sure about:
>
> If we say
>     "@type":"http://schema.org/EducationalOccupationalCredential"  <http://schema.org/EducationalOccupationalCredential>,   // the thing is a credential
>
> That thing is defined in Schema as:
> "An educational or occupational credential. A diploma, academic
> degree, certification, qualification, badge, etc., *that may be
> awarded to a person* or other entity that meets the requirements
> defined by the credentialer."
>
> So it is not the assertion, and not a tangible thing in the world like
> the paper diploma. It is information about something that may be
> awarded. It is metadata defining a class of thing not an instance of a
> thing.

You are right that it is not a tangible thing like a paper diploma.

It is the intangible thing that Greg called the platonic ideal. It is
like what is identified by an ISBN or GTIN, which likewise do not
identify individual copies of a book or product, but do refer to
something that you may get an instance of.

> So shouldn't the comment be corrected?...
>    "@type":"http://schema.org/EducationalOccupationalCredential"  <http://schema.org/EducationalOccupationalCredential>,   // the thing is a credential*definition*

The definition is a different thing, but easily confused because when
you resolve the identifier for a EducationalOccupationCredential you
will likely be redirected to a definition or description (which I guess
is the same). Sometimes the distinction matters more than others: for
example when you want to change the definition without changing the
thing being defined, or when you want to say who owns the definition.

A definition is about something, and contains a statement of what type
of thing that something is. From the JSON-LD spec
<https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#typed-values>[1]:

> The|@type|keyword <https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#dfn-keyword>is also
> used to associate a type with anode
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#dfn-node>. The concept of anode type
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#dfn-node-type>and avalue type
> <https://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/#dfn-value-type>are different.
>
> Anode typespecifies the type of thing that is being described, like a
> person, place, event, or web page. Avalue typespecifies the data type
> of a particular value, such as an integer, a floating point number, or
> a date.

[@type is used for value types in the @context section or in
@value,@type pairs, what we have here are node types]

{