Re: Domain sketch

On 22/08/2019 14:36, Nadeau, Gregory wrote:

> Phil,
>
> Thank you. I think what you have written is very well stated.  I would
> like to use it in CEDS, IEEE, and IMS.

I'm very happy with that so long as it doesn't impede our ability to use
it in other work (consider it CC:BY rather than an exclusive license).

> I believe we can find strong alignment and generate deeper
> harmonization with T3/CTDL and W3C with regards to Verifiable Credentials.

That would be excellent.

> With that as a foundation, I would like to correct some things I said
> over the last few days.  After some discussions with Jim Goodell and
> then with Alex Jackl, I see better the true distinction between a
> competency and a credential. Both are issued in a “platonic” form as a
> linked data description, with no PII, evidence, verification, or
> endorsement or other instance data; that comes from the assertion
> instance. However, the more meaningful distinction, I think, is that
> credentials can describe requirements that include, but go beyond
> competencies, such as seat time, prerequisite, payment, etc.
>

> Generalized, Linked Data Description
>

> Specific Instance with PII
>
> Statements of Measurable Performance
>

> Competency Description
>
> and Crosswalks
>
> (CASE)
>

> Achievement Assertion
>
> (CLR)
>
> Statements of Measurable Performance and
>
> Additional Requirements
>

> Credential Descriptions
>
> and Pathways
>
> (CTDL)
>

> Achievement Assertion
>
> (CLR)

Thank you, that's useful. And thanks to Jim and Alex, and everyone else
for taking the time to help us work this through.

For my part, I don't think the domain sketch is ready for widespread
dissemination as it is evidently open to many different interpretations,
but perhaps over time we can come up with something that is less
ambiguous. If that something is shared between this group, CEDS, IEEE
and IMS then I think we are doing very useful work here.

Phil

--

Phil Barker <http://people.pjjk.net/phil>. http://people.pjjk.net/phil
CETIS LLP <https://www.cetis.org.uk>: a cooperative consultancy for