From: Merrilea Mayo <merrileamayo@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 20, 2019 10:09 AM
To: Julie Uranis <juranis@upcea.edu>
Cc: Tyszko, Jason <jtyszko@USChamber.com>; public-talent-signal@w3.org
Subject: Re: Domain sketch

The way I see it, once an Educational Organization formally endows someone with a "competency," they've just issued him a credential, just a smaller scale one.  I see the difference between competency and credential as being the difference between a "course description" and "passing the course (or required set of courses, if a degree), which fact is now formally recorded and stored."

Credentials go beyond degrees to include certifications, nanodegrees, microcredentials and - where we're headed - certified competencies.  This concept of credential was something Credential Engine taught me.  It is very useful and cuts cleanly through a lot of issues surrounding the proliferation of not-quite-degrees.  The confusion comes because the term "credential" is used so loosely in other, non-technical, non data contexts.  In some of these places "credential" is often used mean JUST a conventional degree.

Merrilea
(tiny keyboard, pls excuse typos)