Re: [Talent-Signal] relating competencies to job postings

On 02/08/2019 13:06, Merrilea Mayo wrote:

> That said, for right now, there are multiple different definitions of
> the same competency, within the same framework, with each definition
> pertaining to that competency at a different level.  So I'm still
> unclear on how we differentiate between these same-named entities
> unless the competency owners, in a sudden fit of logic, decide to
> assign a unique ID to each level - competency combination.  In that
> world, we'd effectively have your wish come true Competency 101-3
> could be be different  than 101-2, and you'd just treat them as
> different objects

I'll take a stab at this. In a perfect linked data world it would be
enough to provide just a URI for the competency: "skill":
"http://example.org/competency/123" All the other information comes by
looking up that URI.

In the real world, we need flexibility to deal with things that are not
perfect, and I think that the DefinedTerm approach gives us this. Worst
case scenario is that there are no identifiers and the framework in
published as PDF. In that case we can still provide a description of the
competency:

"skill": {
   "@type": "DefinedTerm",
   "name": "Critical Thinking - Level 1 - Beginner",
   "description": "determine whether a subordinate has a good excuse for being late",
   "inDefinedTermSet": {
     "name": "A Botched Framework",
     "url": "http://example.org/framework/45"
   }
}

As shown above, we don't *need* to use DefinedTerms for competency
frameworks done properly for linked data, but we still could, and in
doing so we help consumers who perhaps don't want to go the full hog on
linked data:

"skill": {
   "@type": "DefinedTerm",
   "@id": "http://example.org/competency/123"