Re: [Talent-Signal] relating competencies to job postings

Phil,

Within the CaSS Project, we define performance levels (which, ideally, have
the performance standards necessary to qualify at that level in the
description) separately for this reason. Performance levels do not apply to
novice/intermediate/expert (so called achievement levels), because
novice/intermediate/expert imply both breadth and depth of capabilities,
and are represented as separate competencies. Performance criteria are also
allowed as competencies. There is still a proliferation of terms -- less so
the requirements, more so the expected capabilities (achievement and
performance).

Achievement-based Progressions x General Competencies look and feel awkward
in competency frameworks if encoded strictly as a hierarchy.

   - Expert Woodworking
      - Performs Joinery
      - Intermediate Woodworking
         - Uses a Router
         - Novice Woodworking
            - Nails Wood Together

Achievement Progressions x Performance x General Competencies based get
very odd.

   - Expert Woodworking
      - Performs Dovetails
         - Performs Dovetails with a minimum of error within 15 minutes.
      - Uses a Router
         - Routes complex shapes
      - Nails Wood Together
         - Nails wood together without seam and taking into account grain
         direction and match.
      - Intermediate Woodworking
         - Uses a Router
            - Routes basic shapes (circles, corners, waves)
         - Nails Wood Together
            - Nails wood together without seam
         - Novice Woodworking
            - Nails Wood Together
               - Nails wood together in a load bearing capacity

Ultimately, the generalized competencies becomes confusing and difficult to
create data for (Are the two "Nails Wood Together" the same?).

It is much simpler to just do Achievement Level x Performance Level as:

   - Expert Woodworking
      - Performs Dovetails with a minimum of error within 15 minutes.
      - Routes complex shapes
      - Nails wood together without seam and taking into account grain
      direction and match.
      - Intermediate Woodworking
         - Routes basic shapes (circles, corners, waves)
         - Nails wood together without seam
         - Novice Woodworking
            - Nails wood together in a load bearing capacity

The advantage here is that the progression is explicit and isn't
interpreted based on a loose set of "complexity or speed" progression
criteria. Then, the progression labels (Novice, Intermediate, Expert) just
become tags.

And for the sake of completeness, General Competency x Performance Level
looks like: