Re: Getting started

Merrilea, my apologies for not answering this earlier. Please see my
comments below

On 22/03/2019 19:13, Merrilea Mayo wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've had a chance to look at the Google doc, and I have a few
> questions.  Just help me through my ignorance here...
>
> 1. On a webinar reviewing the JDX effort, one of the presenters
> (sorry, too new to recognize/remember voices) said that the current
> JobPosting schema didn't have a way to represent salary ranges.  I'm
> looking at https://schema.org/JobPosting and what I see is that
> MonetaryAmount has a maxValue and minValue associated with it.  So
> obviously, I didn't catch something correctly.  Or I don't understand
> something nuanced. Can someone clarify?

You are right that the min and max salaries can be given with a
MonetaryAmount. I wasn't on that JDX webinar, so I do not know what the
presenter was referring to, however one of the issues mentions that
there are multiple ways to specify the currency of the baseSalary, so
perhaps what is needed here is some guidance on which option is best to use.

> 2. In Phil's notes on incorporating competencies into the JobPosting
> schema, I'm not seeing an accommodation for degrees of competency, or,
> as the Connecting Credentials Initiative would call it, "levels of
> mastery."  Just as a given major, like mechanical engineering, can
> have B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. levels, competencies also have levels
> indicating greater or lesser proficiency.  Connecting Credentials is
> currently hand-assigning mastery levels (from 1-4) to competencies as
> articulated in various competency frameworks and college curricula.  I
> can envision employers also wanting to specify a "level" of mastery
> for a given competency, and putting those in with job descriptions.
> Do we have this?  Do we need this?

Yes, I think there will be quite a lot to discuss with respect to how
the detail of competence requirements are represented. I suggest we
address something simpler first and then prioritize which bigger
problems to tackle.

> 3.  Also in the discussion on integrating competencies into the
> JobPosting schema, I am not entirely sure what these two things really
> mean.  Could Phil give examples of what might go in each category, to
> help clarify?
>
>   * means of representing nature of requirement of competency

The simplest case is the difference between a required and preferred
competency. Also whether a competency is required on hiring or can be
acquired on the job (which I guess may amount to the same as
required/preferred)

>   * means of representing assessments of competency

Currently schema.org has no way of describing Assessments. This is
important in describing the educational side (for example the
assessments associated with a course) but will also be relevant to job
descriptions if a hiring organization runs assessments as part of its
selection process.

> 4.  Partly because I am not 100% sure what these things (above) mean,
> I am also not sure whether the proposed competency-related additions
> cover:
>
>   * the evidence that the employer will accept (or that an individual
>     can give as proof) of competency (e.g, link to online art
>     portfolio, MSCA certification, digital badge in "responsibility,"
>     letter from a prior supervisor asserting this competency, link to
>     a product database such as Portfolium, where instructors tag
>     submitted student work with competency labels and store these
>     competency "points" )

I think that is in scope

>  *
>

>   * the individual, organization, or company validating/asserting this
>     person has this competency (so, self for the online art portfolio,
>     Microsoft for the MCSA certification,  university course
>     instructor for the badge, university course instructors for
>     Portfolium, Division Director Bob Smith at Oracle for the employer
>     letter)

That may be covered by EducationalOccupationalCredential ? (EOCreds)

>   * the definition of the competency.  This might have to be either an
>     English language description or a place where the English language
>     definition is found.

Yes, definitely. For EOCreds we used schema.org's DefinedTerm
<https://schema.org/DefinedTerm>, which allows both of these.

>   * the taxonomy to which the competency belongs:  if the competency
>     is taken from a standard taxonomy, there should be a way to
>     indicate this.  This becomes important because the same words,
>     e.g., "communication" come up over and over, yet they mean
>     different things in different taxonomies.  One person's
>     "communication" is oral; another person's version is written.

Yes, this is also accomadated by DefinedTerm