Re: Informal CfC to close the SysApps WG

On 2015-03-30 13:13, Arthur Barstow wrote:
> On 3/26/15 2:42 PM, Wayne Carr wrote:
>> I think it's likely this WG will close.
>
> Would someone please provide a short summary of the consensus of the
> proposed fate/plan of each of the documents in SysApps' roadmap

I do not (in any way) represent "consensus" but rather an independent developer in this space.

IMO, a core problem is that SysApps lack a suitable deployment model.
It still unclear who is going to "vet" such applications and how are they going to be distributed.

For some of the SysApp APIs user permissions may be enough, for other APIs I believe the need
for standardization is hardly bigger than it is to standardize Android/iOS/Windows.

I.e. just because an application is expressed in HTML5/JS does not automatically mean
that it must/should run on any HTML5/JS platform.

However, the need for using these APIs from the Web still remains which is a reason
why I have proposed building on the already established "App" infrastructure and rather
enable "ordinary" web-applications to securely "call" this layer:

https://cyberphone.github.io/openkeystore/resources/docs/web2native-bridge.pdf

The browser vendors' recent deprecation of plugins like ActiveX and NPAPI as well as
efforts for constrain localhost access make this a high-priority task.  The market
doesn't care which solution that "wins", it just have to work and be standard.

Anders