Date:  Mon, 30 Mar 2015 15:32:15 -0700
From:  Wayne Carr <wayne.carr@linux.intel.com>
To:  Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org>,
Philipp Hoschka <ph@w3.org>, Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
CC:  w3c-archive@w3.org
Subject:  Request to Director to relicense 3 abandoned SysApps WG specs

This is a request to the Director under the Relicensing Unfinished W3C
Specifications Policy [1].

* Specifications to be relicensed *
The abandoned specifications we wish to relicense are from the SysApps
WG [2]. The references below are to the TR (required in the relicensing
policy) and the latest editor's draft (the one to relicense in the WG
Note).  The request is to relicense the entire last Editor's draft for
each specification.
1. Contacts [3][4]
2. Messaging [5][6]
3. Telephony [7][8]

* Eligibility *
1. The SysApps WG participants conducted a CfC to stop work on these
specifications [11].
2. The SysApps WG Charter [9] expired 6 months ago.  There has been no
attempt to recharter.  The Director has not extended the Charter.  Both
co-Chairs have left the Working Group and no new Chair has been
appointed.  In our view, this Working Group has expired.  There was a
CfC among the participants of the WG asking that the WG be closed [10]
(since it hasn't been closed by W3C in these 6 months).  That is ongoing
as this is being written
3. All of these specifications have reached First Public Working Draft.
These specifications are not RECS and do not contain parts of previous
RECs.
4. There are no plans by any Working Group to adopt these
specifications.  A poll in the WG in April 2014 identified these
specifications as candidates to drop from the WG due to lack of
implementation prospects.  It was a well known issue in the WG for these
particular specs and there were no suggestions to move them elsewhere.
These specifications are intended for standalone applications, like
native applications, and not for the usual Web security model.  They are
not intended for use in Web Browsers.  They are in the SysApps WG
specifically because they don't fit elsewhere.
5. The specifications were not abandoned due to patent concerns.  They
were abandoned due to the inability to attract a second implementer and
lack of interest by the Working Group.

* Rationale for Relicensing *
Intel Corporation contributed the initial specs which we had developed
for use in Tizen and Crosswalk.  The specifications have now been
abandoned by the SysApps WG (see below) and we want to be able to
continue to work on these outside the WG.   It is a risk to contribute
input specifications in new areas where there may not be success.  What
can happen is after years of development in the Working Group, the
Working Group decides they are not interested in continuing the work.
In this instance, the Working Group decided not to continue the work and
also it seems very unlikely that the Working Group will continue any
other work.  If the risk is too great that contributed work can be
trapped, abandoned and unfinished in a Working Group, it will discourage
work in W3C in specs that are in new areas where they may fail to
maintain W3C interest.

* Choice of License *
We request use of the BSD 2 Clause License or an equivalent, compatible
W3C license if one is available.  We do not want the default W3C
Software License, due to possible incompatibility with moving the
content to a Community Group where it would be licensed under the W3C
CLA (not the W3C Software License).

* Working Group and Editor Feedback on dropping the specs and relicensing *
We conducted a CfC with the participants of the SysApps WG [11].  The
result was no objections to dropping the specs and no objection to
relicensing them.  All editors of all specifications responded to the
CfC without objections.  The reference [11] links to each of the
following one thread would not see them all.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2014/12/relicense.html
[2] http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/WD-contacts-manager-api-20130307/
[4] http://www.w3.org/2012/sysapps/contacts-manager-api/