Re: W3C workshop on web apps and marketplaces?

On 20/01/14 18:30, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> On Monday, January 20, 2014 at 4:58 PM, Dave Raggett wrote:
>
>> I have extracted the comments made on this thread and copied them to the Headlights 2014 proposal that I was asked to make, see:
>>
>> https://www.w3.org/wiki/Headlights2014/W3C_Workshop_on_Web_Apps_and_Marketplaces#Feedback.2FQuestions_on_the_idea
> Thanks, Dave, for putting this summary together.
>
> I'm concerned about the mention of "trusted web applications". This makes it sound like there is some special type of web application that is somehow more trusted than any other web application. I think there is real risk of segregating the Web like this - and goes against the principle of "one web".
>
> Could you please drop that from the document?

The question is what to replace it with.  We are talking about Web apps
with a higher level of user trust that merits richer access to device
capabilities.  System apps doesn't seem quite right either. Some people
have talked about Web OS, but that could be confused with the WebOS
owned by HP.  Do we just want to say Web Apps, or do we need a term that
signifies the higher level of trust needed for richer access to the
device?  What do people think?

> I'm also a bit, um, uncomfortable, about "Making it easier for users to discover and pay for Web apps". The idea of paying for a web site is weird (as they are not tangible bits of software) - maybe say, "Making it easier for users to discover and pay for online services"?

Services works for me, but I wouldn't want to imply that they only work
when you are online, as there will be an important class of services
that work fine offline. Would the following work for you?

    "Making it easier for users to discover and pay for services"

Many thanks for the feedback.