Re: W3C workshop on web apps and marketplaces?

On 16 Jan 2014, at 18:20, Dominique Hazael-Massieux <dom@w3.org> wrote:

> On jeu., 2014-01-16 at 10:12 +0000, Kostiainen, Anssi wrote:
>> * How to gradually build trust when a user is having a conversation
>> with a web resource, mediated by the User Agent?
>>
>> * We have a set of trust gestures built in to the platform such as
>> bookmarking, uploading a file using the file picker, and drag and
>> drop. I think it is important to ensure we understand and use these
>> implicit permissions grants where appropriate instead of inventing new
>> ones.
>
> Somewhat relevant to this thread, I published last week a review of
> existing permission requests across a set of Web APIs and features:
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-web-mobile/2014Jan/0001.html
> http://dontcallmedom.github.io/web-permissions-req/matrix.html

Dom - this is a great overview on the subject of permission handling on the Web Platform. The concrete examples on the current state are especially telling. Thanks for kicking this off, informing the TAG.

> Since a lot of the tension between in-browser vs out-of-the-browser
> application discussions resolve around permission and trust management,
> this might be useful input to this discussion.

I feel the topics you mention should definitely be in scope for the planned workshop. These are real problems that now exists in shipping modern browsers and harm the user experience of in-browser applications that use new features and APIs that require user consent.

> Also, I've recently added a number of references and quotes to
> http://www.w3.org/wiki/Mobile/articles#API_Permissions which would be
> good additional input.

All - if you have good contacts in the academic world, doing HCI research, feel free to let them know we’re collecting relevant research papers on the topic to the above wiki.

Thanks,

-Anssi