Re: Draft of Requirements and Use Cases for Open Web Application Store

Thanks Jonathan,

On 13 Jan 2014, at 02:28, ȫ wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Im happy to announce this draft.
>
> We have made a new draft document on the github. The title of this document is Requirements and use cases for OWAS(Open Web Application Store).
>
> http://hollobit.github.io/ows-req/
>
> I hope we can start to discuss for this kind of topic on the mailing list,
> and I hope also it could be help to reach the open web application store environment.
>
> If you have any comment and suggestions, please feel free to send.

I don't think the sequence diagrams are very useful, as this is mostly describing the internal behaviour of the store. The key areas for requirements are where a store interacts with other systems. (Likewise, I think we don't need to know the specifics of how a store handles authz for its publishing process, just that it happens.)

So perhaps the requirements could be framed more in terms of the services that a "black box" OWAS provides? E.g.:

- Searching the store
- Browsing the store (by category, most recently added, most popular etc)
- Get the metadata for a web application
- Submitting a web application for inclusion
- Submitting an updated version of a web application
- Withdrawing a web application from the store

And the data and metadata it manages and potentially exposes:

- Application metadata (e.g. from the manifest)
- Discovery metadata (e.g. additional classification in the store)
- Usage and user metadata (comments, reviews, ratings, downloads, likes etc)

There is also the much more problematic area of runtime access, as this depends on the application format and runtime model, e.g. whether its hosted or packaged. (We implemented separate parallel APIs for W3C and OpenSocial, for example).