Re: Manifest internationalization Model

On Tuesday, 12 March 2013 at 09:42, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I definitely think that we should add better support for i18n for
> apps. But it needs to be looked at in the greater perspective of i18n
> for the web.

ECMAScript's Internationalization API is a massive step forward already [1]. Over at www-international, a week as go I started discussions on how we make this work with apps better [2]. The one avenue that Norbert suggested was to expose the "application language(s)" (which may differ from the UA language), so that the ECMAScript i18n API and the app can easily be localised together independently of the user agent language settings. Note that the ES i18n API does not cover templating (the E4H proposal [3] might help here), but rather covers things like correctly and automatically formatting numbers, currency, dates, etc.

Of course, the drawback being that the above solution is reliant on script. More widely on the Web, we may be able to extend this further by eventually introducing new HTML elements that better represent certain type of localizable data (e.g., <currency>). However, given the challenges faced by elements like <time>, it will certainly need to be done as part of a much wider effort (i.e., beyond the scope of this WG).
> I'm hesitant to build an app-specific solution for web
> content when the problem doesn't seem very different than for
> webpages.

I could not agree more, but this is part of a much larger discussion. Right now, I think we should deal with the tiny world of the manifest as its unique in that it needs to cover both hosted web apps and packaged apps - with an eye to exposing the right information to the ES environment to allow for localisation. I personally think we have a lot of the right bits in place to do that, which is why I would like to get some general consensus in the group so we can start prototyping stuff to see if would actually work.

Kind regards,
Marcos

[1] http://www.ecma-international.org/ecma-402/1.0/

If anyone is interested in a simple overview, check out my guide to using the API:
http://marcoscaceres.github.com/jsi18n/

Or check out a more comprehensive guide written by the editor of the spec:
http://norbertlindenberg.com/2012/12/ecmascript-internationalization-api/index.html

[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-international/2013JanMar/0352.html
[3] http://www.hixie.ch/specs/e4h/strawman

--