Re: ApplicationManagement interface

On Mar 4, 2013 3:01 AM, "Marcos Caceres" <w3c@marcosc.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm wondering if we really need to standardise the "ApplicationManagement
interface"? That interface is not developer facing. From what I understand,
that interface would be used by user agents internally to manage
applications. Hence, that seems like an implementation detail - so I'm not
really getting why we should standardise it?

> Instead, we should just standardise the life cycle events that would be
generated from the functionality that the ApplicationManagement interface
provides (and reflect those events as system messages as appropriate).

At least in Firefox OS it is as exposed to developers as the Telephony API
is. I.e. both are certified-only APIs and only used by built-in apps.
Currently it's used by the homescreen app to render the grid of
applications. It is also used by the settings app to allow configuring and
(soon) for getting metadata for all applications.

Exposing the API to privileged apps that have enumerated the permission in
their manifest *might* be OK too.

I'd be fine with moving the API to a separate spec though. If not we should
very clearly indicate which security level is needed for the API, as we
always should for sensitive APIs.

/ Jonas