Re: [runtime] Privileged Applications Extensions spec proposal

On 2013-07-04 05:14, Jonas Sicking wrote:
>  > IMO we need applyUpdate(), bacause the API would feel incomplete
> without it - you could check the update status, download an update and
> then what - exit()?
>
> What would happen in Tizen if applyUpdate() is not called? Is it
> implicitly called as soon as the application is not running?
>
> If so, is the only purpose, from the developer's point of view, of the
> function to close the application if it's currently running? From that
> perspective calling the function exit() doesn't seem so strange.
>
> In other words, it's somewhat strange to have a function called
> applyUpdate(), if the update is applied even when that function is not
> called.

Currently in Tizen, initiating an update for a running app will result
in the app being terminated and updated on the spot. So we don't have
the issues that you describe above.

> But I agree we need a function that has the behavior "force-close the
> application if it is currently running, if that is platform convention
> once an update has been downloaded".
>
> It just seems a little bit strange to call that function apply update,
> but I don't have a better suggestion.

It also seems strange to call a method "downloadUpdate()" when it
actually downloads an update and queues if for installation :-)

/Janusz