Re: Runtime and Security Model for Web Applications

Dear John,

The "Security Requirements for System Applications" document that you
submitted is a good read. I think it will be a good base for further work.
I have two comments, or rather clarification requests:

1. Section 6.1 reads:
" It [the execution environment] shall by default disable applications
with no signature or with signatures from entities with unrecoginsed
root certificates. However, the exection environment may allow
signatures from entities with an unrecognised root certificate if a
device owner explicitly permits this."

What is the rationale behind completely disabling apps without
signatures and restricting those with untrusted root (this includes
self-signed certs)? Isn't this a bit too restrictive?
BTW, there's a typo: "exection".

2. Section 10.1 reads:
"System applications shall not be allowed to execute inline javascript
nor shall they be able to execute string-to-JavaScript methods such as
eval and function."

What do you mean by "function", is it the Function() constructor?
Shouldn't setTimeout and setInterval be included here as well?

Best regards,
Janusz Majnert
Samsung Electronics Poland