Re: Notification of availability of update. Re: Some comments in Execution and Security Model spec

Hi Mounir,

On Friday, April 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Mounir Lamouri wrote:

> Applications such as system need to be aware of an update being
> available. For example, for security reasons, some applications will not
> allow the user to run them unless they are updated.

I've personally have never seen this behavior in the wild on any platform? Is this something FxOS is doing? I can imagine this would be really frustrating to users who, for instance, receive and update right before leaving home (wifi), hop on a plane/bus/car, suddenly find themselves with no data connection (because they are roaming or because they've run out of credit, or there are just not towers around) and can't open an app to get at some data they need.
> Typically,
> applications showing user generated content like Twitter or Facebook
> might have security issues that require them to force users to update
> and forbid the users to use them until then.

As above. It's possibleā€¦ thinking of Apple removing Java from MacOSā€¦ thought that is a little different.
> The way we solved that in the current specification is to allow
> applications to know what is the current update state but they can't
> actually make the update happen. They can start the download and then
> ask the user to update the application in the application manager which
> is the only component allowed to apply the update.

I think that makes sense.

--
Marcos Caceres