Re: Showing APIs to the ECMAScript world

On 18/04/13 23:01, Charles McCathie Nevile wrote:
> Hi (especially the chairs, and spec editors)
>
> a discussion on public-script-coord recently suggested that one of the
> things that W3C groups should do when building APIs is give a heads-up
> to the people who follow public-script-coord - who as well as other W3C
> groups working on APIs include people who are most focused on ECMAscript
> development. The idea is that to get a broader community casting their
> eyes over API design, to figure out how it fits into the javascript
> landscape, get a handle on use cases, let people know if they seem to be
> doing something that is generally considered a bad idea, ...
>
> This makes sense.
>
> Has anyone put the APIs this group is working on in front of that
> audience? Since people here are looking at implementing, it seems like
> there is no such things as "too soon", only "too late to save us from
> some obvious mistake cheaply"... in other words, no time is as good as
> now...

That sounds like part of a broader discussion of horizontal review of
proposed APIs from all W3C working groups. As there are large number of
APIs under development, a common approach would seem like the way to go.

When a draft becomes a First Public Working Draft, it now has to be
assigned to one or more classifications. One of these is JavaScript Web
APIs. The corresponding specs are listed at:

     http://www.w3.org/standards/techs/js#w3c_all

It shouldn't be too difficult to arrange a means to automatically be
notified when any of these specs are updated. I can look into the
feasibility of this if the SysApps WG thinks it appropriate.