[ContactsAPI][DAP-Contacts][vCard][convergence] Re: Contacts API and W3C SysApps

On Fri, Mar 22, 2013 at 5:41 AM, EDUARDO FULLEA CARRERA <efc@tid.es> wrote:
> [...]
>
> The working assumption is to make the contact data model in this API and in W3C DAP's Pick Contact Intent [2] converge (TBD which one to be modified).

While it is a good idea to seek convergence among contact data models,
historically we have been doing this across numerous contacts related
formats/schema/API using vCard as the point of coordination, and the
IETF VCARDDAV list for that.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/ContactsAPI#How_do_we_best_converge_contact_data_models

I've been working with vCard/hCard for some time and contributed to
vCard4. As such, the Mozilla Contacts API is already quite well
converged with vCard (3 and parts of 4), with any exceptions noted
explicitly with reasons. The one exception to that is "carrier", which
I'm frankly still uncomfortable with and should be proposed to
VCARDDAV by someone who can justify it with real world use cases /
examples. I've called it out as an "experimental extension" in the
Contacts API.

https://wiki.mozilla.org/ContactsAPI#API

Thanks,

Tantek