Re: [sysapps/runtime] cross origin XHR in packaged apps

On Tuesday, 2 April 2013 at 18:49, John Lyle wrote:

> > There have been some ok tools made… Yahoo widgets had a nice drag-drop-click-done one. But that's only a small part of the "experience"… for WAC, getting a certificate was a huge week long experience full of joy. Having to send personally identifying information, pay a bunch of money, manually sign some kind of contract, wait, fix whatever you screwed up, etc.
>
> Yes, it tends to be the process of getting certificates that causes
> problems. I do agree, though, that many of the tools for signing are
> pretty bad.
>
> On a more positive note, the existence of nearly a million signed
> Android apps suggests that, while onerous, the addition of an author
> signature isn't a show stopper on its own.

Absolutely. Also just had a look at the Chrome Extension one, and it's also three clicks… as long as you have the .pem already generated. There is also the google developer dashboard, but I haven't had a chance to play with it (though I did pay my 5 bucks).
> Assuming, of course, that
> there's a big enough incentive for developers to bother trying and no
> easier alternative. Whether those signing keys are well protected and
> serve a useful purpose is a completely different question…

Agreed. I raise it because I know how problematic all solutions are and the required infrastructure can make implementing these solutions practically impossible for anyone but really large organisations - that might not be an issue, but something to consider.

--
Marcos Caceres

http://datadriven.com.au