Re: Messaging - SMS API draft

On 26/10/12 12:26, Kis, Zoltan wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 1:46 PM, Mounir Lamouri <mounir@lamouri.fr> wrote:
>> On 10/24/2012 07:51 PM, Kis, Zoltan wrote:
>>> Just a some  quick notes:
>>>
>>> - should we support standard folders line inbox, sent, drafts, outbox,
>>> saved, and custom ones?
>>
>> I'm not sure why this is needed. This API tries to be higher level than
>> those folders. A received message will be in Inbox, those sent in Sent.
>
> One of the basic use cases will be to build UI's with folder or
> conversation views.
> This is deeply tied with storage, which could be accessed by native
> side too, so it would be good to have API's for it.
> It just takes a few attributes more (for conversationId, folderId, tags, etc).

But then you might want to index the database on those values to have
fast message retrievals but if an app wants to show a simple stream
ordered by date, it might not work that well so we would need to index
messages with their date. Take the concept farther and you end up in a
ridiculous situation when most of the DB is indexed.

Jonas and I have been speaking a lot about that and our feeling is that
we assume that SMS apps will simply to a copy of the system database and
try to keep in sync with changes. This is not a formal proposal but just
an idea we had because anything we might come with now (having
conversationId for example) might not work well with some UI concept,
anyway.

>> Same thing with drafts: I wouldn't expect a draft
>> wrote in APP1 to show up in APP2. The current API allows application to
>> have the exact Outbox/Drafts behaviour.
>
> Actually I do expect a draft shown up in the second app, for the
> previously mentioned reason: the message belongs to the user (the
> account), not to the app. Analogy: if you open gmail from 2 browsers,
> you see the same draft in both.

The difference is that you open GMail in both cases. And anyway, GMail
lives in the cloud. Also, emails by definition, are synced with your server.
In the other hand, SMS are saved in your device (rarely synced AFAIK).
This said, I do not have a very strong opinion about this. I'm just not
very enthusiast in adding a method that would allow writing messages in
the DB.

--
Mounir