Re: poll results

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 11:18 AM, Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org> wrote:
> Leaping the gun slightly, but here is a summary of the results of the
> poll on the proposed deliverables
>
>  http://www.w3.org/2012/06/sysapps-poll-results.html
>
> No conclusions as yet, but feel free to draw your own.

I've crunched the numbers from the poll, and here are some thoughts.
Below, I've tried to (roughly!) rank the deliverables based on the
results of the poll.

A) There seems to be a group of deliverables that have strong interest
from the folks who responded to the poll.  These deliverables have
more than two organizations interested in implementing them and
multiple folks willing to contribute editorial resources.

B) There seems to be another groups of deliverables that have somewhat
weaker interest from the respondents.  These deliverables have only
two organizations interested in implementing them and typically have
only one organization willing to contribute editorial resources.

C) The next group lacks editorial resources.  We could shake the trees
and try to find some editorial resources, but we've got pretty of work
on our plate already.  These seem like good candidates to defer to
later.

D) The last group has fewer than two implementors.  Without multiple
implementors, we're going to have trouble moving these deliverables
through the W3C process.

Based on this information, I've made a proposal for what should be in
our charter.  I've included all the deliverables from group (A), and
I've also included the Secure Elements API and the Idle API from group
(B).  These are the two deliverables in group (B) that have multiple
organizations willing to contribute editorial resources.

As always, I welcome your feedback, but I would like to come to
closure on a charter in the near term so that we can begin the
technical work.

Many thanks,
Adam

Note: The column order is the same as on
<http://www.w3.org/2012/06/sysapps-poll-results.html>.

Poll Results
============

Strong Interest
---------------

Media Storage API           5   2   5   3   5
Bluetooth API               3   2   5   3   3
Alarm API                   3   3   5   3   3
Contacts API                4   3   4   2   5
Messaging API               3   3   3   3   4
Telephony API               4   3   3   2   4
Raw Sockets API             2   2   3   2   2
Device Capabilities API     2   2   3   2   4
Calendar API                3   2   3   2   3
Browser API                 2   1   3   1   2

Only Two Implementors
---------------------

Secure Elements API         1   4   2   3   2
Idle API                    1   2   2   1   2
DNS Resolution API          1   1   2   2   1
Network Interface API       2   1   2   2   2
Resource Lock API           1   1   2   1   2
Serial API                  1   1   2   2   1
Application API             1   1   2   2   2
Accounts API                1   1   2   2   2
Web Intent Registration API 1   1   2   1   4

No Editorial Resources
----------------------

File System API             3       3   2   4
System Settings API         2       2   1   2
Keyboard/IME API            1       2   1   1
Background Services API     1       2   1   3

Less Than Two Implementors
--------------------------

Power Management API            1   1   1   2
Spellcheck API              3   1   1
Sensors API                 1       1   2
USB API

Proposal
========

Phase 1
-------

Runtime Model               (not polled)
Security Model              (not polled)
Alarm API                   3   3   5   3   3
Contacts API                4   3   4   2   5
Messaging API               3   3   3   3   4
Telephony API               4   3   3   2   4
Raw Sockets API             2   2   3   2   2

Phase 2
-------

Bluetooth API               3   2   5   3   3
Media Storage API           5   2   5   3   5
Device Capabilities API     2   2   3   2   4
Calendar API                3   2   3   2   3
Browser API                 2   1   3   1   2
Secure Elements API         1   4   2   3   2
Idle API                    1   2   2   1   2

I've also put the text above on pastebin in case your mail reader
doesn't use a proportional font:

http://pastebin.com/umUQtimx