Re: System Level API spec editors

On 05/06/12 14:48, Mounir Lamouri wrote:
> On 06/05/2012 03:38 PM, Dave Raggett wrote:
>>>
>>> I think using Web Intents would be an abuse of the API.
>>
>> The DAP WG discussion on this led to working on separate simple specs
>> for each sensor, starting with proximity. Web Intents is still
>> interesting when there is more than one instance of a sensor on a device
>> or you want to access sensors across the local network or even remote
>> sensors.
>
> So if there is more instance of a sensor the user will have to pick the
> sensor he/she wants to use? And I'm not sure how using a remote sensor
> would make sense...

One use case is sensing the temperature in different rooms, your garage
and garden green house. Today, you can buy wireless sensors for this,
and why shouldn't they become part of the Web tomorrow, as part of the
Web of Things?  This is already starting to happen, see e.g.

   https://cosm.com/explore

> In addition, I was assuming only applications were able to handle an intent.
> IMO, the API should whether provide a way to access the multiple sensors
> or just provide an unified value.

The sensor API applies to sensors you have identified (implicitly if
there is only one). Web Intents provides a framework for identifying
which sensor you want to use, or do we want to create a separate
discovery mechanism just for sensors, but if so, why?