Re: Media fragments vs media object attributes

Here is all I could find about browser support:
https://caniuse.com/media-fragments <https://caniuse.com/media-fragments>

Regarding the HTML Media Element src attribute, it looks like it also supports media fragments, at least based on the note at the beginning of this document:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLMediaElement/initialTime <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/HTMLMediaElement/initialTime>

I don’t know how to find out about other media players though.

I would expect that even if a media player supports the fragment syntax, unless it’s really clever, the values would still have to be parsed to smooth out the playback - for example, if you have a series of contiguous audio clips, as is common for a narrated presentation, you can decide whether to reload/reposition the media playback or let it keep playing and seamlessly move the highlight along. If you reload, there might be an audible interruption in playback, which could interfere with an experience of continuous narration.

Marisa