From: Marisa DeMeglio
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2020 2:58
To: W3C Synchronized Multimedia for Publications CG ; Lars Wallin ; Ivan Herman ; Avneesh Singh
Subject: Re: Ideas for the next draft

I wonder if anyone has had a chance to look at the document I sent around about some new ideas, specifically the part about how these new concepts might look if we used a SMIL-ish syntax [1].

I’m saying “SMIL-ish" rather than “actual SMIL”, because strictly speaking, SMIL does not cover everything that we want to do (and also, it has tons of stuff we don’t need). Waking up that WG and adding new elements is more than I’m ready for; however, borrowing some of their elements and adding enhancements seems entirely reasonable.

I would also like to note the future of EPUB, in a new WG, which has among its deliverables Media Overlays 3.x [2].

So rather than veer off in a new format direction, what if we proposed the work of this CG as an evolution of Media Overlays? That way, there’s a coherent thread among EPUB 3, Audiobooks, and EPUB Next.

Copying Ivan and Avneesh because I’d really like to hear their thoughts.

Thanks
Marisa

1. https://github.com/w3c/sync-media-pub/blob/master/drafts/sync-narr-xml.md#notes-about-smil
2. https://w3c.github.io/epub-3-wg-charter/#deliverables