Re: W3C and SWS

On Oct 16, 2006, at 6:07 PM, Matthias Klusch wrote:

> dear all,
>
> when do you think we might expect some first drafted
> "SWS recommendation" from the W3C?

Do you mean aside from SAWSDL? That's technically the first.

Do you mean aside from WS-Policy? That's the closest thing to a
richer description.

In both cases, most of the work needs to be done. E.g., defining how
models work or defining policy assertion sets.

Or do you mean on *frameworks* (i.e., OWL-S, WSMO, etc.)?

> Is there any new W3C workshop
> on this topic, for discussing updates of the past
> submissions planned?

No. But I would like to have one, at least in the context of OWL-S.
Whether a multi-initiative one makes sense is an interesting question.

(I speak of OWL-S mostly because I'm trying to deal with a user
community around the OWL-S API. Also, that's where my history is and
there are some things I'd like to do to advance it.)

The OWL-S coalition marches on, but I'd like to start a more
community based effort. In particular, I think the work surrounding
the OWL Experiences and Directions workshop (i.e., OWL1.1) is working
really well, overall. I would love to have something similar for OWL-S.

The last multi-framework meeting was the SWS workshop and the
consensus there seemed to be against starting up an activity at the
W3C. (i.e., a working group) Er...except for SAWSDL!

If one want to do something *inside* the W3C that was a little more
structured, you could go for an Incubator Group:
	<http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/>

I'm skeptical about successful multi-framework initiative. SWSL
didn't really work out, I think, because we were neither starting
from a common base, nor had any pressure to agree.

Perhaps you have a more specific idea?

Hmm. Now that I think about it, a multi framework experience and
directions workshop *could* be made to work, I'd guess. One thing
that made OWLED work is that major stakeholder and actors were there
and committed. I.e., the tools guys were ready to implement what the
users requested. Multiframworkness tends to make things tricky since
it's easy to get into a debate of relative merits, and people who
just want to use WSMO doen't really need to hear about what some OWL-
S person wants.

Cheers,
Bijan.