Re: Commercial/Real-world Semantic Web Services?

Hello Xuan -

I have no desire to engage in verbal combat, but there are a few of your
comments here that call for a response and some clarification.

Xuan Shi wrote:
> Luke,
>
> If you agree that "True web services and websites are a different",
> it's so easy to understand the definition of a Web-service specified by
> W3C  @ http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/NOTE-ws-gloss-20040211/
>
> In this glossary, when W3C define the concept of "Web service", it
> said:
>
> "There are many things that might be called "Web services" in the world
> at large. However, for the purpose of this Working Group and this
> architecture, and without prejudice toward other definitions, we will
> use the following definition:
>
> A Web service is a software system designed to support interoperable
> machine-to-machine interaction over a network. It has an interface
> described in a machine-processable format (specifically WSDL). Other
> systems interact with the Web service in a manner prescribed by its
> description using SOAP-messages, typically conveyed using HTTP with an
> XML serialization in conjunction with other Web-related standards."
>
> Forget that section "without prejudice toward other definitions", at
> least (semantic) Web-sites are in those many things, not Web-services -
> Web-service should at least have a WSDL interface, not Web interface, a
> place for Web service integration/aggregation/mediation.
>
> Furthermore, what is a service-provider, and what is a
> service-requester? A service provider provides services through WSDL
> interfaces. A service requester consumes services through WSDL
> interfaces. It's a P2P relationship, not a server/end-user
> relationship.
>
> Then we can see, OWL-S, or semantic-Web-based services, deliberately
> keep misusing terminology to confuse people for years. They mixed up
> their Web-sites with Web services to sell their modelings.

Xuan, it's very unkind, baseless, inappropriate, and unreasonable for
your to mis-characterize the motives of this group of people (the OWL-S
Coalition) in this way.  I believe you will find that when you use this
kind of unjustified, incendiary rhetoric, the readers of this list will
quickly recognize that your comments are without merit.

> OWL-S claimed clearly from 2001 to 2006 that - "By 'service' we mean
> Web sites" -  it's wrong, right? as you know "True web services and
> websites are a different".

It is inappropriate to take a partial quotation out of context in this
way, and try to make it seem as if the authors meant something else.  We
certainly did not mean to say that all Web sites are Web services.  In
fact, the passage in question was not really attempting to give a
complete definition of "service" or "Web service", but rather was meant
to indicate that we were primarily concerned with services that have
side effects (as opposed to purely information services).  Here is the
full paragraph where that appears:

"Among the most important Web resources are those that provide services.
By ``service'' we mean Web sites that do not merely provide static
information but allow one to effect some action or change in the world,
such as the sale of a product or the control of a physical device. The
Semantic Web should enable users to locate, select, employ, compose, and
monitor Web-based services automatically."  [1]

Now it may be that this passage isn't written clearly enough.  It may
also be that it is in need of some update, as it was written some time
ago.  We will consider whether to refine it.  The reason we used the
phrase "Web sites" was because we were reluctant to use "Web service" in
this particular context.  This passage is in an introductory section,
and is discussing the general context and motivation for the work on
OWL-S.  Because we recognized that "Web service" was understood
differently by different people, we tried to use a more neutral phrase
in this early part of the document.  When this passage was written, I
believe there was probably less clarity on W3C pages regarding the
meaning of "Web service" than there is now.  Also, we felt that this
discussion was very general and abstract, and should not necessarily be
limited to services that are implemented using WSDL.

> What's the goal of OWL-S? It's said again from 2001 to 2006 that "The
> Semantic Web should enable users to locate, select, employ, compose, and
> monitor Web-based services automatically." -  it's wrong, right? A Web
> service is not a Web-based service.

Here again, I believe we were trying to avoid the phrase "Web service"
simply for the reasons given above.  Again, there is probably room for
improvement in the writing.  But certainly there was no intention to use
the phrase "Web-based service" in a confusing manner, and I doubt if it
has caused any confusion.  I think most readers have understood that it
was just a phrase that meant "services accessible via the Web", without
being too precise about the technology by which they are accessible.
Again, please remember that this passage is in an introductory section,
and is discussing the general context and motivation for the work on
OWL-S.

> Besides what they said in their theory, we can see what they did in
> their practice. From this well-known tutorial
> http://www.wsmo.org/TR/d17/resources/200507-ICWS/SWStutorial-iswc05.ppt
>
> as well as other papers, demos, we can see they are really talking
> about and dealing with Web-site. What is VTA on slide #63? By their
> terminology, VTA is a service-provider. Unfortunately by W3C
> specification on Web-service, VTA is only a service-requester, because
> VTA consumes the true Web-services (FlightBooking and HotelBooking)
> through WSDL interface. VTA is only a Web-based service provider target
> the two end-users (Consumers ) on the Web. That's why I remind everyone
> when Bijian boasts his "Web services", he may actually talking about
> Web-sites. And that's why I suggested that OWL-S remove processModel
> becasue it's designed for a Web-site (VTA), not a Web-service (either
> FlightBooking or HotelBooking).

While I'd love to claim some credit for it, the VTA example you mention
above was created by researchers working on WSMO, not OWL-S.

> Who has been keeping misusing terminology to confuse people? OWL-S -
> their service provider is not the same terminology used in Web-service
> definition. Are they really interested in Web-site? No, they have
> nothing about how to develop a Web-site. Then are they really interested
> in Web-services? No, their tutorial has little about those two true
> Web-servcies, FlightBooking and HotelBooking. What are they really
> interested in? If we know what are their vested interests, the answer is
> clear.
>
> OWL-S, if not completely wrong, is problematic. Do they want to hear
> any truth? They fear to see and acknowledge their problems. They have
> little or no courage to face the questions and problems. Some of them
> are eager at gossipping in the darkness while betrayed their partners
> due to carelessness, rather than make correction to generate a more
> appropriate theory to guide their practice. You already see that
> gossiper yelled - ignore Xuan, he is a notorious  troll. Another one of
> them said in this IG before that Xuan is an outsider (of us). However,
> unfortunately they cannot ignore those questions and problems.
>
> Until now, they have no courage to face the real world Web-services,
> rather than any problems in real practice. In the past six years from
> 2001 to 2006, what we got from OWL-S are only those
> Kindergarten-toy-like service models, buybook, buyticket, purchaseorder,
> stokequote, etc.

While it's true that the examples in the release are simple examples for
tutorial purposes, it is also true that there are a number of
publications describing projects that have used OWL-S in more
interesting ways -- some by members of the OWL-S Coalition and many by
people in the larger community of users.

Regards,
David Martin

[1] The quoted passage appears in the Introduction of the OWL-S
Technical Overview available here:
   http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/1.1/overview/
The same passage also appears in earlier releases.