From: Bijan Parsia
To: nikola.stojanovic@acm.org
Cc: public-sws-ig@w3.org
Sent: 3/17/06 6:27 PM
Subject: Re: Semantics of WSDL vs. semantics of service

On Mar 17, 2006, at 5:57 PM, ?????? ?????????? wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 17, 2006, at 2:35 PM, Josh@oklieb wrote:
>>
>>> Even so, development of that software would require knowledge about
>>> the service which is generally beyond the (necessary but not
>>> sufficient) descriptive capabilities of WSDL.
>>
>> I lost the thread. My point was that WSDL allows you to automatically

>> invoke.
> What does it mean to "automatically invoke"? Is there something like
> "non-automatically invoke"?

Yeah, it's a crappy phrase. What we generally mean is that if we have a
WSDL capable environment, and we have some indication in a program that
we want to invoke a certain operation, that the system can figure out
how to perform the details of the invocation without intervention by
me. So, for example, if I have a wsdl with 3 bindings for an operation,
and for some reason I can't use one of them, the system can switch to
another. It's a bit like late binding in method dispatch, I guess. What
it automates are things like setting up the port, constructing the HTTP
headers, etc. etc.

Not terribly exciting, after all!

Cheers,
Bijan.