From: David Martin
To: Shi, Xuan
Cc: 'public-sws-ig@w3c.org '
Sent: 3/2/06 2:46 PM
Subject: Re: question about "Semantic Annotations for WSDL"

Shi, Xuan wrote:
> Dear Dr. Martin,
>
> If you and this group would like to discuss the semantics of WSDL
other than
> the semantics of Web service, then you can ignore the following lines
> because I will demonstrate again that the meaning of the
element/component
> within WSDL interface document is NOT the meaning of Web service.

Hello Xuan -

Evidently you either didn't read or didn't understand what I posted.
I think you have some good ideas, but at the same time I don't think
your comments are really related to the question and points that I
raised.  (Of course they are related at a high level but definitely
not directly related.)  Frankly, I find it a bit frustrating.  I
started this thread to invite some discussion about a question that
*I* had in mind - not to provide another opportunity for you to get
out your message.

Guess what?  In this case my posting was actually quite sympathetic to
your point of view!  Here's a brief paraphrase:

David: This business of annotating WSDL, with references to semantics
that are expressed in a separate formalism, seems to have at least one
serious weakness ... I'm worried that the approach won't be useful over
the long term.

Xuan: What??? You *still* want to talk about adding semantics to
WSDL??? That's rubbish, and here's why ...

Hello ... In this posting I was raising a *criticism* of trying to add
semantic annotations to WSDL (at least of one particular approach) - not

*advocating* it.

Don't get me wrong.  You have every right to express your opinions on
the list and it's great to do so, especially if you feel passionately
that things can be done a better way.  But I would like to suggest
that you can make a greater contribution if, when a new thread is
started, you make every effort to understand the points and respond
more directly to them.

Regards,
David

> Given a simple example, a Web service provides a function of addition
> calculation. How many different ways can we try to build such a
function? I
> can give a list of functional interfaces as I discussed before, and
you may
> wish to add more:
>
> Function addition (integer X, integer Y):integer Z
> Function addition (double X, double Y):double Z
> Function addition (integer X[2]):integer Z
> Function addition (double X[2]):double Z
> Function addition (number X, number Y):number Z
> Function addition (object O):integer Z (O has properties X, Y, or O
has
> X[2])
> Function addition (string req):string resp (by SRR document)
> ... ...
>
> What's the meaning of this service and function? The meaning of
service and
> function has any relationship with WSDL interface, process,
precondition,
> effect, etc.?
>
> As a common sense, the meaning of ALL such Web services is the same:
it will
> add two numbers and return the result back to requester. When you add
> semantic annotations into WSDL, can you describe the meaning of this
Web