Re: mapping complex type to OWL concept

On Jul 15, 2006, at 2:07 PM, dhavalkumar thakker wrote:

> [Reposted with the subject hearder]
>
> Hi All,
>
> I have a web service with the Complex Type defined as an array of
> String
> as follows:
[snip]
> I intend to create an OWL-S description for this service, however I am
> not sure How do I map this kind of complex type (i.e. array) to OWL
> Concept??? are there any mapping possible?  if yes, can anybody
> suggest one??

You have considerable freedom (arbitrary freedom, in some sense) in
the mapping. If you think these arrays model a particular sort of
entity, then you should have some idea about how the elements of the
array map to features of the entity. If, on the other hand, the array
really *is* just an array, i.e., a container for values, you are
better off maintaining it as such. Which, if this were a simple type,
would be simple as you could use that type on a datatype property.
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that complextypes only can be sensibly
mapped to XMLLiterals, which rather sucks.

You'd have trouble anyway as there is no canonical mapping from user
defined types to URIs which is required for using datatypes in OWL
and RDF.

Cheers,
Bijan.