RE: question about "Semantic Annotations for WSDL"

Dear Ed,

I want to know how many different ways for you or someone else to develop
such kind of Web services as you mentioned? If there are more than two ways
to develop the same Web services, then you will get more than two WSDL
documents. Since they are the same service and function, then they have the
same semantics. However, the content of WSDL documents is different. If you
want to describe the meaning of WSDL document, then the same service and
fucntion can be explained differently. On the other hand, different services
and functions can have the same interface, as demonstrated by those four
calculation services-the only difference is the name of the function.

That's why I asked Dr. Martin whether we want to discuss the meaning of a
WSDL document or the meaning of a Web service. It seems you want to explain
the meaning of a service, but if you associate it with the WSDL document,
the result will be different since the same service and function can be
developed, defined, described in different ways in such a decentralized
environment. For example, how can you define the meaning of "margin" as a
variable, a function, a service? In WSDL there are only names of varied
elements which are assigned randomly, which means you can rename "margin" as
"sales margin", "s_margin", "sales_margin", or whatever. In this case, do
you want to tell me they are all the same? If that's true, then we can
discuss another issue as I proposed to Dr. Martin that who can define the
semantics and why don't we share the semantics? But here you see again, the
meaning of service has no relation with the content inside WSDL interface
document.

SW technology is not appropriate for SWS because the ontology used in SW has
nothing about function and process but all about concepts as well as the
relationship among concepts. Unless we can find something new to define
service, function, process, not just the concepts used in defining the
variables in WSDL document, I don't think such effort is promising. As
referenced by McCool's paper "Rethinking the Semantic Web, Par I & II"
published by IEEE Internet Computing in the last issue of 2005 and first
issue of 2006, SW failed and will fail. Then what and how can we do
something different to develop SWS?

Best wishes,

Xuan