Re: R: sws matchmaker contest

Dear all

Tomaso's and Terry's comments have prompted me to write down some of my
own thoughts.

I believe that there is a lot of benefit to look at matchmaking in its
greater context. As Terry points out there are many research questions
buried in how to best support users in (i) query formulation, (ii)
result set understanding or re-ordering, and (iii) query refinement.
This is an area that is dear to my heart and I have spend quite a bit of
my research time on it over the passed two years.
The same is true in the about the second field that Terry points out,
where no human is in the loop.

Nonetheless, I strongly believe that the development of a benchmark
should include tasks that disentangle the overall loop (with the user or
client program): in other words "pure" retrieval/matchmaking  tasks. The
reason is that I believe that there are many different research tasks
that should be evaluated separately AS WELL AS in an integrated way.
A quick brainstorm of tasks includes at least (I am probably forgetting
quite a few here):

1) Given a set of queries and a collection of services,
       a) how I can I find/rank the best matching ones?
       b) how fast can I find a plausible one?
       c) how do these matching procedures scale?
       d) what is a suitable query language
       e) what is the semantics of s partial match?

2) Given a user and her/his need,
      a) how can i help her/him put together a suitable query?
      b) how can i help her/him understand the returned answer set (and
possibly its ranking)
          and the trade-offs between the elements?
     c) how can i help her/him improve/refine the query?
     d) what is a suitable query language/formalism/...?
     e)   ...

3) <the same thing for agents/programs>....

4) <tasks containing combinations of problems in 1, 2, and 3...>

Each of these tasks is worthwhile and should have some type of
test-collection.... eventually. But the question is where to start. I
would start with the first task, since it is the one we all have the
best understanding of (at least I believe so).
We should then proceed with 2 and see what the multi-agent community has
done about 3...

So I am in great agreement with Terry and Tomaso, but just wanted to
point out that it may help to start with little steps while keeping the
overall goal in mind :-)

Cheers

Avi