Re: Compositions Types:Static and Dynamic

Bijan Parsia wrote:
> (Keeping the discussion on list)
>
> On Apr 14, 2006, at 5:23 AM, Daniela CLARO wrote:
<cutting out a lot>

> BPEL also has a distinction between...er...abstract? and concrete
> workflows? They point is that if there are *in fact* concrete, in
> principle executed services in the composition, that's something worth
> marking (i.e., in principle, assuming no failure, you can execute the
> composition without further planning/composition). I don't see that as
> "static" per se. The composition is immediately executable. When the
> composition doesn't concretize things entirely, there's further work
> to be done (from a composition, or dispatch/selection, perspective).
> If I have conditionals in the composition, then in at least that
> respect, though the composition itself might never change, what
> services actually get invocated will depend on (simple) runtime
> decisions.
>
> So there really is a continuum here. It might help if we knew the
> purpose you have in trying to make this distinction.
Daniela

You may want to look at some work that I did on the specificty frontier
(or continuum - thanks Bijan) back in 2000 (see
http://www.ifi.unizh.ch/ddis/staff/goehring/btw/files/CSCW2000-final.pdf).
There I discuss various degrees of specificity that a process (or
service) description can have. The paper also discusses that different
degrees of specificity warrant different types of support (by the
system). While the paper focuses on machine support for human process
enactment the ideas can easily be translated to the support of service
executions.

Best

Avi