Discovery and composition

From: carlo beffa <carlo_beffa@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2005 14:46:18 +0100 (BST)
To: public-sws-ig@w3.org

Hi, I am working on service discovery and I relly like
to have some feedback on the following situations;

Service provider advertises the interface of his web
service with a service registry. Requester searches
for services and developer considers what the
discovery process returns:
1.	Service is available, exact match, great! What if
it is a partially exact match? Developer is still
happy with this. He considers this as a starting
point, identifies which functionality is missing and
builds it to either complement or make use of the
returned service.
2.	Service is not available, results are too far away
from what developer requires. But composition is
possible. Which component (developer or matchmaker) is
responsible of evaluating this situation and stating
that composition is possible? On which basis is this
evaluation done?

a.matchmaker identifies a degree of similarity between
the request and the results. Should a similarity
threshold value not be reached an attempt to create a
composition can be started. For this to happen other
conditions have to be satisfied. Such as, does the
matchmaker have the necessary knowledge of how to
combine possible services? If not, how will it obtain
this knowledge? How will it identify what is missing?
Will the requester be involved in this process? To
what degree?

Is this line of thought sound? Is there any work
related that can help me clear out some of these
questions?

regards and thanks

Carlo