RE: Where are the semantics in the semantic Web?

-----Original Message-----
From: Drew McDermott
To: public-sws-ig@w3.org
Sent: 11/25/05 3:33 PM
Subject: RE: Where are the semantics in the semantic Web?

> [Shi, Xuan]
>
> But where are your viewpoints and suggestions to my discussion in
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-sws-ig/2005Nov/0089.html

I think your proposals make perfect sense.  You want to replace WSDL
descriptions with descriptions of web services with standard names and
standard argument-result protocols. But then you then went on to argue
that anyone who wants to explore levels "above" or "below" yours is
misguided. "Below" means sticking with the WSDL framework; "above"
means standardizing on a declarative vocabulary that would allow
descriptions of the expected effects of invoking a web
service. "Below" is no good because it doesn't even try to say what a
web service does; "above" is no good because it's impossible to
standardize declarative vocabularies -- their semantics is too
complex.

--their semantics is too complex: is this true? Please try the following
e-business Web sites:

http://www.orbitz.com/
http://www.expedia.com/
http://www.usairways.com/
http://www.united.com/
http://www.aa.com/
... ...

Do you think these companies/agencies have an agreement or they are sharing
the same service semantics for airline ticket reservation? Do you think such
service semantics is too complex? Or please try:

http://www.orbitz.com/
http://www.expedia.com/
http://www.hotels.com/
http://marriott.com/default.mi
http://www.radisson.com/

Do you think these hotels/agencies have an agreement or they are sharing the
same service semantics for hotel reservation? Do you think such service
semantics is too complex?

If you wish to try many other cases, you will find that it may be much more
easier to reach such domain-specific/industrial agreement on the input
variables and expected outcomes for certain type of e-business than those
logical reasonings you showed me before ;p

The problem is whether W3c or ISO would like to take such a role as the
coordinator for negotiation and standardization.

You may be right about the appropriate level to standardize on, but I
don't see how we can settle the matter a priori.

--

                                         -- Drew McDermott
                                            Yale University