Re: Web Rule Language - WRL vs SWRL

On Jun 22, 2005, at 2:06 PM, Jos de Bruijn wrote:

> Bijan Parsia wrote:
[snip]
>> That's the point, right? Queries that you might expect to return the
>> same results on that data *don't* depending on the semantics you
>> have for the *data*. Of course your query language might be (will
>> be!) more expressive than your data language (see SQL).
>
> No! As I showed in an earlier email, the ground

Key is the slipping in of "ground".

> entailments for both
> semantics are *equivalent* and thus the queries would return the same
> result.

Of course, RDF entailment includes existential generalization, so
that's not quite right. There seems to be more work that you need to do
to get what you wanted (e.g., you need to look at the semantics of the
query language; is the query "not" classical? how would that classical
not interact with the LP semantics?)

Related question, what to do about BNodes? I hate them too, but they
are there and often heavily used. They throw existentials all over the
place, which pushes us out of plain ole datalog.

Cheers,
Bijan.