Re: UML & SWRL

HI Jyoti,

The first step in this process to date has been work on the Ontology
Definition Metamodel (ODM) in the
OMG [1], which I'm co-editing with Chris Welty (IBM).  We have defined
MOF metamodels for RDF, OWL,
Topic Maps, and Common Logic, with the help of a number of folks from
both the OMG and Semantic Web
communities.  This is still a work in progress, but is relatively stable
at this point (at least in terms of the
metamodels).  Follow on work may include a mapping from OCL to Common
Logic or to something else,
depending on what emerges from the rules interchange format activity
that is just getting underway in the
W3C.

There are two other activities going on in parallel from a business
rules perspective in OMG that are relevant,
one is called Semantics for Business Vocabularies and Rules (SBVR), and
the other is Production Rule
Representation (PRR).  SBVR was recently adopted and is being finalized
in the OMG, while I believe the
PRR specification is not quite as far along.  SBVR is based on Object
Role Modeling work by Terry Halpin and
others, whereas the PRR work involves more operational rule interchange
and is supported by companies
such as Fair Isaac, ILOG, Pega Systems, and others.  Neither of these is
currently mapped to OCL, to my
knowledge.

There are a number of issues that need careful attention with regard to
mapping OCL to Common Logic,
which is what I am most familiar with, including quantifier scope, but
we have not had the resources to
dig into the details to date.  If you are interested in getting
involved, please keep in touch with me and/or
Evan Wallace (NIST) who chairs the Ontology PSIG in the OMG, and we'd be
delighted to have your
help.

Best regards,

Elisa