Re: Executing OWL-S/Profile - a comparison of existing mechanisms

On Sep 23, 2004, at 8:20 PM, Jun Shen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> So finally

Finally?

> you mentioned Jess, which I supposed as better than Jena regarding
> inference.

Better how? Jena has both forward and backward chaining rules. I have
no idea how they compare in performance, but, for most things they
should be reasonably comparable. My *guess* is that Jess is better
integrated with Java.

>  That makes OWL-S fantastic rather than solely simulating, and better
> than BPEL in executing *rules*.

Uh...

The OWL-S VM is *implemented* as a collection of Jess rules. I don't
know, off hand, if it *integrates* with Jess rules. OWL-S 1.0 allows
the use of fairly expressive languages (DRS, KIF) in the preconditions
and effects, but good luck finding a reasoner for them :) (Well, Drew
might have a DRS reasoner...Drew?)

Cheers,
Bijan Parsia.