Re: Writing / Executing Web-Services for Palm devices using OWL-S description

On Oct 6, 2004, at 6:31 AM, Suleman Butt wrote:

> Hi,
>       Well i'm very much new to this field of OWL-S (web services)
> though i have got some experience working with conventional web
> development  like (jsp, asp, asp.net, java beans etc).
>
> Could anybody help in suggesting me how should i get my self started
> with this novel idea of Sementic Web Services.

Write some Web Services. Then describe them. Terse, but true :)

> To get my feet into it
> without soaking my entire body, i just want to get an idea about
> OWL-S's basic flow ( from *practile point of view).
>
> To be more precise i want to make a very *basic* web service described
> with OWL-S and that web service should run on handheld device (e.g
> palmtop i.e. pervassive environment)

I don't know what web service kits are available on the palm. If
there's an HTTP server, you could write a very simple "document"
oriented web service (call it RESTy if you want to be buzzful), and use
the WSDL2.0 HTTP binding to describe it.

>  *OR* if the execution of owl-s
> service on palmtop has resource constraints then what could be
> anyother solution.

Remember that OWL-S is a *description* language...what is described can
be very different.

If you want to execute *compositions* of web services "directly" by
examining an OWL-S composite process description...ok, then you have a
bunch of issues :)

> In short if i'm not getting out of track pls suggest HOW SHOULD I
> START..!!!

Despite my growing reputation on this group as a relentless shill for
Evren's code, I still recommend the OWL-S API
(http://www.mindswap.org/2004/owl-s/api/) if you do Java. The composer
is a better "non coding" intro
(http://www.mindswap.org/~evren/composer/) but it's a bit bit-rotted at
the moment. I'm hoping a new grad student will be able to release a
new, happier version before next term.

Cheers,
Bijan "Shill? I don't even sing soprano!" Parsia.