RE: OWL-S in use?

Hi,

Task Computing (http://taskcomputing.org) uses OWL and OWL-S extensively.
Please let me give you examples:

- Devices (projector, telephone, printer, audio/video players and many others)
  are abstracted as Semantic Web Services using OWL-S.

  When the user start the services for the services for devices,
  the user can specify/change the profile information such as (name, description, location, etc.)
  and the service creates the semantic service description (SSD) in OWL-S dynamically with
  other information such as IP address and make the SSD available through UPnP.
  Most of them ground to WSDL Web Services, but some ground to UPnP actions.

- Functions from applications and OS's (File from the local machine, Contact/Schedule
  from/into Outlook, etc.) are abstracted as Semantic Web Services using OWL-S.

  Their OWL-S files are also made available through a discovery mechanism local to
  the machine.

- "Semantic Object Mapping" Services

  This is a service to map a semantic object to another semantic object.
  You can find their OWL-S files at

  http://sws.flacp.fujitsulabs.com/owl-s/

  Those with "<owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#transformationFunction" />" in them
  fall into this category (Such as "Business Address of".)

- Semantic Web Services from Web Services on the Internet

  You can find their OWL-S files at

  http://sws.flacp.fujitsulabs.com/owl-s/

  Those WITHOUT "<owl:onProperty rdf:resource="#transformationFunction" />" in them
  fall into this category (Such as "FLA *",  "Map of" and "Weather Info of").

- Task Computing provides a lot of ways to create Semantic Web Services dynamically.

  - You can create Semantic Web Services from OS/Application objects.
    With a file from OS or Contact/Schedule from Outlook, you can create semantic
    object providing services of corresponding semantic objects.

  - You can easily create a Semantic Web Service which provides any semantic object
    in any ontology in OWL or DAML. Of course, its SSD in OWL-S is dynamically created.

- All the Semantic Web Services above are atomic.

  But with OWL-S API (http://www.mindswap.org/2004/owl-s/api/) from MINDSwap at its core,
  we provide GUI for users to easily create composite services
  (to be exact, SSD's of composite services) out of those atomic services.

- Asynchronous Services

  Some of the services above, which require the user interaction,
  are asynchronous and use a proprietary way to invoke.
  Their OWL-S files are ordinary and this is handled at WSDL level.
  Its asynchrony is determined at the time of invocation dynamically
  through investigation of its WSDL.

- All of SSD's are in OWL-S 1.0.

  We plan to move to OWL-S 1.1 soon.

- All the Semantic Web Services have none or one semantic input
  and none or one semantic output.

  This does not mean that the WSDL Web Service,  which the semantic
  Web Service grounds to, has none/single parameter for its input and output
  as single semantic input/output can corresponds to multiple parameters
  of the Web Service.

- In total, there are more than 50 kinds of Semantic Web Services
  with their SSDs in OWL-S, most of them have their names and descriptions
  in eight languages.

- Ontologies used in Task Computing

  For objects:
  http://www.flacp.fujitsulabs.com/tce/ontologies/2004/03/object.owl
  http://www.flacp.fujitsulabs.com/tce/ontologies/2004/03/project.owl

  For services:
  http://www.flacp.fujitsulabs.com/tce/ontologies/2004/03/service.owl

We got a lot of help from MINDSwap group of University of Maryland to create those
OWL and OWL-S file.

Regards,

Ryu