Re: [OWL-S] Process subClassOf IntervalEvent

Feng Pan wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Thanks for copying the email to me. Yes, I'm on public-sws-ig@w3.org.
>
> Currently the time ontology is used in Process.owl as follows:
>
> Class:
>   Process subclass IntervalEvent
>   ControlConstruct subclass IntervalEvent
> ObjectProperty:
>   timeout: ProcessComponent --> IntervalThing
>   timeoutAbsolute: ProcessComponent --> InstantThing
> In class ProcessComponent's definition (restriction on property):
>   begins
>   ends
>   timeout
>   timeoutAbsolute
>
> After you remove
>
>   Process subclass IntervalEvent
>   ControlConstruct subclass IntervalEvent
>
> "begins" and "ends" temporal property restrictions will have to be removed
> (or re-defined) from the definition of ProcessComponent, since they are
> based on the the above subclass relationship.
>
> About "timeout" and "timeoutAbsolute", based on Mark Burstein's email:
>

>>Process Instances now represents either a set of unrelated intervals
>>(like the old process class) or else something that is not an event at
>>all, but is just a spec for one.
>

> it makes sense to me to still keep them as possible temporal properties of
> ProcessComponent.

Good point.  That is, if "timeout" specifies a length of time that is allowed for
the completion of (each execution of) a process (or control construct), then I think
that does make sense.

But I don't think we can keep timeoutAbsolute.  I think that property was meant to
specify an *absolute time* at which a process execution times out.

>>I've also removed the cardinality restrictions on temporal properties,
>>which were based on these subclass relationships.
>

> I don't understand why you (only) removed the cardinality restrictions on
> temporal properties (which I guess are "begins" and "ends", right?).
> The problem is the whole restriction, not the cardinality, as they are
> using owl:maxCardinality="1"...

Right.  Actually I removed the entire restriction, for "begins", "ends", "timeout",
and "timeoutAbsolute".  I am now planning to put it back for timeoutAbsolute.

Thanks for your comments,
-- David