RE: Interoperability with DAML-S

Hi, Luca,

I am not exactly sure if this is the solution you want,
but I can tell you "Task Computing" way to deal with these issues
as I am working on "Task Computing."

Our strategy is to use those discovery mechanisms only for
getting the semantic services descriptions (SSDs) of the devices and
to escape to the semantic level using those SSDs until
invoking those services (or using those devices).

Currently we are using only UPnP, but the same idea can be implemented
for other pervasive discovery mechanisms.
We use UPnP Control Point for the client to discovery UPnP devices.
As soon as the client finds the UPnP device, it invokes a UPnP action
to get its SSD (in OWL-S).
The client uses the SSD to support the user to do his/her "tasks".
Semi-automatic composition of the services, support for the user-driven
service compositions and so on.

When the user decided to execute the service (or use the device), the client
uses the grounding information in its SSD to actually execute the service.
The implementation of the service can be in UPnP actions or Web Services.
(It does not have to be running on the same machine as the original UPnP device.)

This solution is easy for devices to be implemented since the necessary functionality
additional to what should already there (discovery/execution API) is to provide
its SSD. If the device is using UPnP, there is already mini Web server and the SSD
can be provided through it.
All the complex stuffs happen on the client side.

We do have the framework and clients along with many UPnP services
and Web Services (the last count - 4 kinds of clients and 65 kinds of services)
implemented and using them in our demo.

As there are only Internet Gateway Devices commercially available to my knowledge
(if someone knows other kinds of commercially available UPnP devices, please let
me know), the UPnP devices are implemented on our own.

I believe one of the most important merits using SSDs/OWL-S in pervasive environment
is that you can make the device interoperate with local applications and Web Services on the Internet.
(Not just interpretabilities between consumer devices.)
With the discovery mechanisms and semantic service descriptions, we can tumble
down the walls between applications, devices, and Web Services.
(We also have a proprietary local service discovery mechanism to find the functionalities
from local applications as services.)

There are many demo scenarios possible with our "Task Computing", but my most favorite
one these days that makes the above point is the following:

  You are visiting some office for the first time and you find a phone there.
  You have a telephone number on your Outlook on your computer
  and another on the Web page.
  When you want to make phone calls for those numbers, the telephone number
  should go from the application window, to your eyeballs, to your brain, to your fingers,
  and finally on the dial pad on the phone. The process is time-consuming and error-prone.
  The process can be done with a few clicks with "Task Computing."

Regards,

Ryu

  _____