Re: FW: updated service model

At 09:33 16/01/2004 -0500, Katia Sycara wrote:
>This is the latest version of the WSA arch service model. However, we are
>still having discussions about simplifying it; some members would like not
>like to have goal or goal state at all and have just task, actions and
>messages.

Yes, there are process models that are entirely activity based, and some
that are entirely about state change and world state
goals/conditions/effects.  This is an argument that has gone round the AI
planning community for over 20 years too. There are planners based on
either one of the extremes... and it can be shown that you can transform
one to another with work and a certain perverseness in modeling
approach.  In reality most people mix the two - occasionally finding it
convenient to model them at one extreme or another.  Going for one rather
than the other will definite be wrong for a large part of the community we
want to serve.  And not have longevity.

Austin

--
Prof. Austin Tate, Artificial Intelligence Applications Institute, Informatics,
University of Edinburgh, Appleton Tower, Crichton Street, Edinburgh EH8 9LE, UK